*NEW YEAR, NEW TIME! Get ready for changes to Radio CALS in the new year. Starting on January 4th, 2017, Radio CALS will move to a new day and time! Tune in to KABF 88.3 FM at 6 p.m. on Wednesdays for all things CALS: Primary Sources, Chewing the Fat, AR Sounds, Bizarre Arkansas, Butler Center Collections, and more!
Radio CALS airs on KABF 88.3 FM in Little Rock from noon-2 p.m. every Friday. It may be streamed live at www.kabf.org (click "Listen Live") or anytime at www.soundcloud.com/radiocals.
- Primary Sources - This week on Primary Sources, part two with Kane Webb from the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism sits down in the Radio CALS studio with the Principal of Catholic High School for Boys in Little Rock, Steve Straessle. Straessle, himself a product of Catholic High, talks about his childhood growing up in Little Rock, as well as fond remembrances of his alma mater and the journey that lead him back there.
- Collections - Prentice C. Barrows, a member of the 29th Iowa Infantry Regiment, wrote this letter while stationed in Helena in 1863. His unit spent most of the Civil War in Arkansas participating in the Battle of Helena, the Little Rock Campaign, and the Camden Expedition. This is one of hundreds of Civil War letters in the Butler Center collection.
- Collections - A reading of an article from Radio Topics Magazine (September, 1922) written by Harvey C. Couch, the entrepreneur who upgraded local utilities and founded what is now known as Entergy.
- Bizarre Arkansas - A story about Dr. John Richard Brinkley, a notorious quack who practiced "medicine" in the 1930's throughout the South, including Arkansas.
- Chewing the Fat - A special end-of-the-year edition featuring some of our favorite Chewing the Fat segments with our old friends, Rex and Paul. And did we mention that Paul is from Imboden?
- Music from the Butler Center's Arkansas Sounds music collection.
EOA entry on Entergy Arkansas