Today's broadcast of Radio CALS (12/2/16) features:
- Primary Sources - This week’s podcast features part two of a conversation with Marianna, AR native and retired Court of Appeals Justice, Judge Olly Neal Jr.. Raymond Abramson of Holly Grove, a current justice on the Court of Appeals, interviewed Judge Neal in the fall of 2016 for Primary Sources.
- Collections - Selections from an interview with Willie Booker Jr., who describes his military experience during desegregation and his time spent managing a large farm; interview conducted for the Butler Center collections by Jajuan Johnson in 2009.
- Authors on Air - An interview with Nancy Hendricks, author of Notable Women of Arkansas, just released by Butler Center Books; interview conducted by Rod Lorenzen, manager of Butler Center Books.
- Chewing the Fat - This week on Chewing the Fat with Rex and Paul, Rex is out of town, so Paul begins a conversation with Jan Austin, his patient spouse, whom Paul often mentions in the broadcast, as they talk about Helena, Jan’s suspicions about Paul’s admiration for vinegar pie, pecan pie, mincemeat, butter the secret to pecan pie and life, Paul’s convenience-store chicken livers, Paul’s decision to take Jan home to meet the folks, Paul’s and Jan’s accents, their competing theories about the relative virtues of Delta and hill folk, gun-toting mosquitos, Paul’s uncle’s farm, the disappearing art of making candy, Paul’s aunt’s remarkable diary, her staunch union loyalty, Lawrence County the “mother of counties,” Paul’s declaration of ASU as the Harvard of Arkansas, changes on campus, Imboden and its attractions for kids, church and school the source of social life in the town, the resultant scrutiny of teenage behavior, Paul’s admirable seriousness as a student, fun at the races, Oaklawn burgers, corned beef, pizza, and Jan’s expert theories about picking race horses.
- Music from the Butler Center's Arkansas Sounds music collection.
The full Primary Sources podcast is available at
EOA entry on Judge Olly Neal Jr.
EOA entry on New Madrid Faulthttp://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?search=1&entryID=2219
EOA entry on Terrence Roberts
The full Chewing the Fat podcast is now available at
Arkansas Sounds: Richard Leo Johnson
Friday, December 9, 8 p.m.
CALS Ron Robinson Theater
100 River Market Ave.
General admission: FREE
Music used in this broadcast was created by:
Radio CALS is a production of the Central Arkansas Library System (CALS), its Arkansas history department, the Butler Center for Arkansas Studies, and the CALS Community Outreach Department. For more information, visit www.cals.org and www.butlercenter.org. Radio CALS was produced this week by John Miller, Brett Ratliff, Rod Lorenzen, David Stricklin, and Glenn Whaley. Voices by John Miller and Jasmine Jobe. Engineering and editing by Michael Stotts and Anna Lancaster. Our production manager is Glenn Whaley. Our executive producers are Lee Ann Blackwell Hoskyn and David Stricklin.