Today's broadcast of Radio CALS (11/25/16) features:
- Primary Sources - This week’s podcast features Judge Olly Neal, Jr., a native of Marianna and retired Court of Appeals Justice. Raymond Abramson of Holly Grove, a current justice on the Court of Appeals, interviewed Judge Neal in the fall of 2016 for Primary Sources.
- Collections - Selections from an interview with Cpl. Charles O. Hilburn, a veteran of the Korean War; interview conducted by Brian Robertson, the Butler Center's senior archivist and manager of research services.
- Legacies and Lunch - Women of Colonial Arkansas - The Arkansas Post was the first European settlement in the lower Mississippi River Valley and present-day Arkansas established in 1686 as a French trading post on the banks of the lower Arkansas River. In this addition of Legacies and Lunch, Judge Morris Arnold presents on the significant role that women played in colonial Arkansas.
- Chewing the Fat - This week on Chewing the Fat with Rex and Paul, Rex is out of town, so Paul begins a conversation with Jan Austin, his patient spouse, whom Paul often mentions in the broadcast, as they talk about Helena, Jan’s suspicions about Paul’s admiration for vinegar pie, pecan pie, mincemeat, butter the secret to pecan pie and life, Paul’s convenience-store chicken livers, Paul’s decision to take Jan home to meet the folks, Paul’s and Jan’s accents, their competing theories about the relative virtues of Delta and hill folk, gun-toting mosquitos, Paul’s uncle’s farm, the disappearing art of making candy, Paul’s aunt’s remarkable diary, her staunch union loyalty, Lawrence County the “mother of counties,” Paul’s declaration of ASU as the Harvard of Arkansas, changes on campus, Imboden and its attractions for kids, church and school the source of social life in the town, the resultant scrutiny of teenage behavior, Paul’s admirable seriousness as a student, fun at the races, Oaklawn burgers, corned beef, pizza, and Jan’s expert theories about picking race horses.
- Music from the Butler Center's Arkansas Sounds music collection.
The full Primary Sources podcast is available at
EOA entry on Judge Olly Neal Jr.http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?search=1&entryID=7999
EOA entry on Pearl Oldfield
EOA entry on William Grant Still
The full Chewing the Fat podcast is now available at
Arkansas Sounds: Richard Leo Johnson
Friday, December 9, 8 p.m.
CALS Ron Robinson Theater
100 River Market Ave.
General admission: FREE
Music used in this broadcast was created by:
Radio CALS is a production of the Central Arkansas Library System (CALS), its Arkansas history department, the Butler Center for Arkansas Studies, and the CALS Community Outreach Department. For more information, visit www.cals.org and www.butlercenter.org. Radio CALS was produced this week by John Miller, Brett Ratliff, Keeley Wooten, David Stricklin, Brian Robertson, and Glenn Whaley. Voices by John Miller and Jasmine Jobe. Engineering and editing by Michael Stotts and Anna Lancaster. Our production manager is Glenn Whaley. Our executive producers are Lee Ann Blackwell Hoskyn and David Stricklin.