Today's broadcast of Radio CALS (10/28/16) features:
- In this week’s Primary Sources podcast, Paul Austin sits down with the retired professional basketball player Sidney Moncrief to discuss some of Moncrief's earliest memories growing up in Little Rock and how that upbringing would prepare him for life; first at the University of Arkansas where he led the Razorbacks to the 1978 NCAA Final Four; then on to a successful career in the NBA where Moncrief was a five time all-star and twice the NBA Defensive Player of the Year, and later as a coach. Today, Moncrief runs a high performance people development company entitled Moncrief One Team.
- Bizarre Arkansas, with a story about a traveling salesman known only as "Old Mike" who became a macabre tourist attraction in Prescott when he passed away and his corpse was displayed for many years while attempts were made to determine his identity.
- In Relics of Arkansas History, the Beatles drop into Walnut Ridge.
- Bizarre Arkansas's Stewart Fuell takes us on a tour of Arkopolis, an alternative version of downtown Little Rock, in honor of Halloween.
- This week, Rex and Paul chew the fat about Halloween, especially how big a deal it was in Imboden, the Halloween carnival at Sloan-Hendrix High School, similar doings in Arkadelphia, the good trick-or-treat neighborhoods, the scary but fascinating Sturgis house in Arkadelphia, the beyond-creepy gym dressing room at Sloan-Hendrix, hijinks of older kids, water-balloon wars, running from the police, who only pretended to chase the kids, Imboden’s car-less sheriff, how Arkadelphia’s police chief got so excited about the opening of Interstate 30 that he drove the wrong way onto the freeway in an Arkadelphia police car, trick or treating at the museums and the zoo in Little Rock, Jan’s Helen of Troy costume and Paul’s unfortunate but prize-winning contest entry, the fuzzy monster Rex encountered in D.C., Jan and Paul’s Top Gun-themed costumes, and Halloween movies.
- Music from the Butler Center's Arkansas Sounds music collection.
The full Primary Sources podcast is available at
EOA entry on Henry Clay Yergerhttp://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?search=1&entryID=773
EOA entry on Old Mike
EOA entry on Adrian Brewer
The full Chewing the Fat podcast is now available at
Arkansas Sounds: CeDell Davis
Friday, November 4, 7 p.m.
CALS Ron Robinson Theater
100 River Market Ave.
General admission: $10
Music used in this broadcast was created by:
Radio CALS is a production of the Central Arkansas Library System (CALS), its Arkansas history department, the Butler Center for Arkansas Studies, and the CALS Community Outreach Department. For more information, visit www.cals.org and www.butlercenter.org. Radio CALS was produced this week by LeeAnn Blackwell, Bob Denman, Stewart Fuell, John Miller, Brett Ratliff, Keeley Wooten, David Stricklin, and Glenn Whaley. Voices by John Miller and Jasmine Jobe. Engineering and editing by Michael Stotts and Anna Lancaster. Our production manager is Glenn Whaley. Our executive producers are Lee Ann Blackwell Hoskyn and David Stricklin.