Today's broadcast of Radio CALS (9/9//16) features:
- Primary Sources, our new podcast, continues with a new interview with John Brummett. Roby Brock talked to John, a long time journalist and political columnist, about his Arkansas roots and his the beginnings of his career.
- A conversation between Bizarre Arkansas's Stewart Fuell and Mark Spitzer, a UCA Associate Professor of Creative Writing, poet, and editor of the Toad Suck Review, about Spitzer's books Glurk! A Hellbender Odyssey, Crypto-Arkansas, and Season of the Gar.
- Rachel Silva, Executive Director of Preserve Arkansas, talks to Michael Hood, Civil Engineering Manager for the City of Little Rock, about his upcoming presentation, “Historical ‘Firsts’ for Little Rock and Pulaski County, Arkansas” at the Pulaski County Historical Society meeting this Sunday.
- This week on Chewing the Fat, Rex Nelson and Paul Austin talk about how Paul wimped out on going to the Hope Watermelon Festival because of a little rain, the growing watermelon rivalry between Hope and Cave City, Hope watermelon promoter Pod Rogers, getting the attention of Today Show weatherman Willard Scott with a 200-pound watermelon, the Smothers Brothers, Glen Campbell, the Bright family, “black diamond” melons at Cave City, the old Fourth of July picnic at Portia, melon-protection measures, Rex’s Delta barbecue tour and seven stops in one day (Mack’s IGA in Biscoe, Jones’s in Marianna, Cyprus Corner near Lexa, Larry’s and Abe’s in Clarksdale, Lena’s and Craig’s at De Valls Bluff), Tums, pecan pies, sweet-potato pies, tamales, soul food, duck-camp adventures, Beulah, sauces, and Paul’s ideas about vinegar.
- Music from the Butler Center's Arkansas Sounds music collection
Links related to this broadcast:
The full Primary Sources podcast is available at
Second Friday Art Night
Friday, September 9, 5-8 p.m.
Butler Center Galleries
401 Pres. Clinton Ave.
Free and open to the public
A hellbender video from Mark Spitzer:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVHvBd9Lpxc
Sunday - September 11, 2016
Darragh Center, CALS Main Library, 100 S. Rock Street, Little Rock
Refreshments at 2:00 pm - Presentation at 2:30 pm
Music used in this broadcast was created by:
Radio CALS is a production of the Central Arkansas Library System (CALS), its Arkansas history department, the Butler Center for Arkansas Studies, and the CALS Community Outreach Department. For more information, visit www.cals.org and www.butlercenter.org. Radio CALS was produced this week by Stewart Fuell, John Miller, Chris Stewart, Keeley Wooten, David Stricklin, and Glenn Whaley. Voices by John Miller and Jasmine Jobe. Engineering and editing by Michael Stotts and Anna Lancaster. Our production manager is Glenn Whaley. Our executive producers are Lee Ann Blackwell Hoskyn and David Stricklin.