From the Club's website:
"The Little Rock Garden Club was organized in 1923 under the leadership of Mrs. J.N. Heiskell and was the first garden club in Arkansas. After encouraging and assisting other groups to organize, LRGC became one of nine charter clubs in 1931 of the Arkansas Federation of Garden Clubs. In 1960, LRGC became a member of the Garden Club of America.
When Mrs. Heiskell and our charter members began this club, they had a dream it would enrich the life and enhance the appearance of Little Rock. Since 1923, our members have continued in their path. Our many past projects and their impact in Little Rock show how the original dream continues as reality today."
Early projects of the Little Rock Garden Club included restoration of the Old State House and the Arkansas Territorial Restoration (now the Historic Arkansas Museum). The Club also successfully promoted the preservation of native dogwood and holly and provided landscaping for several parks and the grounds of several public buildings in central Arkansas. Today, the Club continues to promote horticultural and environmental education.
This collection contains organizational and financial records of the Club dating from 1923-2002, including board minutes, photographs, scrapbooks, and memorabilia.