Monday, March 1, 2010

Featured Manuscript Collection: March/April

Arkansas-Misouri Power Company Collection
MSS 08-08

Finding Aid

Arkansas-Missouri Power Company, which was headquartered in Blytheville, Arkansas, provided electricity to seventeen counties in northeast Arkansas and southeast Missouri. In addition, the company at one time supplied natural gas to customers and owned ice manufacturing plants and a water system.

Substation 3-25 KVA, Chester B. Franz Company, Mammoth Spring,Arkansas, September 1940. 2 3/8 x 3 ¾ Black and White.
Location in collection: Box 1, Item 6

It is unclear when Arkansas-Missouri Power Company was started. It was in existence as early as 1925, when the company purchased the hydroelectric plant at Mammoth Spring State Park. In 1931, the company filed a petition for bankruptcy and reorganization; the company was reorganized in 1937.

Blytheville Cooling Tower under Construction, 1940. 2 3/8 x 4 1/8 Black and White.
Location in collection: Box 1, Item 9

In the early 1970s, Arkansas-Missouri Power Company became part of Middle South Utilities, which was also the parent company for Arkansas Power and Light Company. Arkansas-Missouri Power was merged into Arkansas Power and Light in 1981. Middle South Utilities was renamed Entergy Corporation in 1989.
110 KV Circuit Breaker, Walnut Ridge, Arkansas, Undated. 3 ¼ x 5 ¼ Black and White.
Location in collection: Box 1, File 26

This collection contains 100+ photographs from the Arkansas-Missouri Power Company. A few photographs have company employees as subjects, but most are of power plants, power lines, and electrical equipment.

Three Unidentified Men Checking Boxes of IBM Electric Accounting Machine Cards, Unknown Location, January 1957. 4 5/8 x 3 5/8 Black and White.
Location in collection: Box 1, File 51

This information was taken from the finding aid.


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by 2008

Back to TOP